Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

~Welcome to my blog!!!~
I am a stay-at-home mom to three kiddos- two girls who are 10 and 7, and our first little boy who will be 5 in October.
It can get a little chaotic around here with all the activity of three kids... but I wouldn't trade any of it for the world!

Well, at least most days I wouldn't... ;)



PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket



Sunday, August 26, 2007

Any Tips...

For a very stubborn three-and-a-half-year-old who REFUSES to take medicine?!?!

My middle kid is headstrong. Extremely headstrong. This past week or so, all of us (except for J) have had a nasty cough. I took the two younger ones to the doc on Tuesday to get some medicine. She gave me a script for cough syrup. So, I've been giving it to Nicholas pretty faithfully and WOW, his cough is all but gone. As is his runny nose. I've even taken it a couple times and mine is much better.

Cassidy on the other hand, will not take the medicine. No matter how much I try to convince her to. I know the trick of mixing it into a drink or food so that she doesn't know it's there. Yeah. Tried that one a couple days ago. I added it to her glass of juice. And she didn't see me do it. One drink out of it and I hear, "this is nasty!" And the juice was not drank.

This morning, I tried giving it to her watered down. Nope. I tried bribing her by telling her we would go see Grandma if she took it. No dice. I tried convincing her to drink it and then finish her poptart to take the nasty taste away. Nadda. I tried to offer her pudding with the medicine stirred in. You guessed it. Didn't work.

So, she didn't take her medicine. And she continues to cough.

And me. I am still trying to figure out a way to get the stuff in her. Any suggestions or do I just hope and pray that the cough goes away on its own?

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ummm...not my speciality. You could tell her a scary story about a monster who eats little kids who dont take their medicine or something.

Michele sent me over to show you just how little I know about taking care of small children.

9:58 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

Wish I had some great advise on this one but -- I can't even figure out how to take my own meds :) -- thanks for visiting the other day :)

2:56 PM  
Blogger Tiffany said...

My sister was like that. My dad would hold her down and my mom would give her the meds. She was awful about it! (not saying to hold her down though) Not sure what to do. They have some cough meds in those strips that you place on the tongue. Maybe you could sneak one of those in her mouth...lol

7:41 AM  
Blogger louann said...

Hi! CAme across your blog through mom blogs. I think your children are very adorable.
Now about that medicine.Hmm...ever tried bribing? Like a prize she really enjoys eating or something given to her right after taking the meds?
Good Luck!

1:23 AM  
Blogger carmilevy said...

I feel your pain. Two of our three kids are terrible meds-takers. Tiffany's suggestion of the strips is a good one. For the drugs that are available in this form, they've done wonders for our youngest.

For the cough medicines and other basic stuff, we generally don't push it. Since they only treat the symptom, I don't lose any sleep if they don't take it. We substitute hot drinks and soothing soups for coughs and juices and foods with lotsa vitamins for colds.

But for things like ear infections and other afflictions that require prescriptions, we often remove other privileges if they don't take their meds. Kind of amazing how fast a munchkin will take drugs if he/she runs the risk of losing TV for a week.

Good luck with it. My heart's right there with you.

9:01 PM  
Blogger Moon said...

Hi from Michele's...
All I can suggest is what worked for me..my daughter wasn't given a choice, its meds or we took away something she loved..like Carmi said..TV or favorite toy..worked for me..no negotiations..

9:38 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

I'm with Carmi, but have you tried it in pudding?

9:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home