Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

~Welcome to my blog!!!~
I am a stay-at-home mom to three kiddos- two girls who are 10 and 7, and our first little boy who will be 5 in October.
It can get a little chaotic around here with all the activity of three kids... but I wouldn't trade any of it for the world!

Well, at least most days I wouldn't... ;)



PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket



Thursday, August 11, 2005

Lullabies

When my girls were winky tinks, I did a lot of lullaby singing. Such a peaceful way to put them to sleep for the night.

Sometimes though, I just didn't like the words.... so I made up my own. Anyone else have lullabies they changed to fit their kiddos?!?!

I've always liked the song, "You Are My Sunshine" but I disliked the part about taking my sunshine away. Who wants to sing about their sunshine being taken away?!?! My version goes like this...

You are my sunshine,
My brightest sunshine.
You make me happy
When skies are gray.
You'll always know just
How much I love you,
Cause I'll tell you every day.

Much sunnier, huh??

Oh, and the Rockabye Baby! Who in the heck would let their child come falling out of a tree and not do anything?!?!

When the bough breaks,
the cradle will fall
And Mommy will catch you,
Cradle and all.

Much safer, wouldn't you say?!


Anyone have songs to share?!?! Post them here and maybe I'll borrow them one night! Feel free to do the same with mine....

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

16 Comments:

Blogger dena said...

Yes, that's a much, much, much nicer version. I'll have to steal it. As for sharing my songs, I make the entire things up and then immediately forget them after singing them once.

10:38 PM  
Blogger marlynn said...

Very cute. I was totally going to write what Dena said - I make them up and then forget them the next time, so I make up new words again based on whatever I am doing at the time or what is going on in our lives at that moment.

Thanks for visiting my blog BTW! Yours is very fun and I will visit often.

11:21 PM  
Blogger PiesFan90 said...

HI Michele sent me.

My kids are a little old for songs now, but they still enjoy being read to.
I like your conversions, when you analyse some nursery rhymes, you wonder what they were thinking when they wrote them.

10:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's lovely how you adapted those. :-)

11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At 4, is that too old for lullabies? Quieting down songs I love are a CD of worldwide lullabies, in persian, vietnamese, arabic, etc with translation versions sung as well are called "Lullabies from the Axis of Evil"

11:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't need a lullaby. Just as I am now, I hit the pillow and I am out! LOL

Michele sent me!

blogger won't let me post who I am..

chatty
http://www.whatchutawkinbout.com

2:23 PM  
Blogger Panthergirl said...

My lullabies to my kids were:

Once Upon a Dream from Sleeping Beauty
Dream a Little Dream of Me (OK, a little narcissistic)
Golden Slumbers

2:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

awww, that's so cute. my "baby" is now 10, a little past singing too, but my oldest daughter is 20, so maybe grandchild in the next 10 years. i'll try and remember those changes, they are much more baby friendly.

3:07 PM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Cute idea, Cathy. I am here from Michele's place.

3:13 PM  
Blogger Margaret said...

Here from Michele's. I have no kids, but I love changing the words to my niece's songs--just to hear her correct me. She just turned 5 and is vvery strict.

4:00 PM  
Blogger Ramona said...

Nighty-night Cathy! I like your versions much better!
Here via Michele's

11:50 PM  
Blogger carmilevy said...

I am amazed at how many nursery rhymes and children's stories have such sinister undertones. Good for you for finding a nicer way to deliver them in your home. My wife's the improv expert in ours: she can cobble an amazing verse together on-the-fly. It makes for fun bedtimes around here!

1:01 AM  
Blogger Beanhead said...

I used to sing my sons name in a song and he loved it. Now I do it for my niece and she loves it also.

My son still asks for his song..:)

8:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always just made them up. Music words and everything. We only have a little boy so there was never any attempt at singing sunny or safe songs, I stuck to tried and true little boy themes of blood gore and violence.
Michele sent me.

6:07 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

My mom used to always sing the 'Sunshine' song to me. It always made me cry, and I start to tear up when I sing it to Zoe. I like your ending MUCH better!

12:06 AM  
Blogger Darlene Schacht said...

I see you're creative. I love the rhymes and the design, it's so fun.

12:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home