Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

~Welcome to my blog!!!~
I am a stay-at-home mom to three kiddos- two girls who are 10 and 7, and our first little boy who will be 5 in October.
It can get a little chaotic around here with all the activity of three kids... but I wouldn't trade any of it for the world!

Well, at least most days I wouldn't... ;)



PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket



Friday, July 22, 2005

Princess Fashion...

I quietly opened the door to rouse my four year old, so I could get her ready to go to the sitter's. There she was, lying on her bed, halfway between sleep and arousal, stretching like a house cat after a long afternoon nap.

"I'm not ready to get up yet. I need some more sleep," she whined lazily, as she pulled the covers up over her eyes.

So I told her she could have a few more minutes. I pulled her door closed and went to finish getting ready. A few minutes later as I was turning off the hair dryer, I heard her door click open. I tiptoed to the bathroom door and peeked out in the hallway to tell her good morning. The sight I saw before me was priceless. My sweet little four year old had taken it upon herself to get dressed for her day.

She had started off with a light pink short sleeved tshirt with embroidered butterflies on the front. Along with that she was wearing a pair of hot pink cotton capris that came just past her knees. They had a dainty little ruffle around the bottom of the legs. So far, a pretty normal outfit. What she decided to pair with that shirt and capris is what makes this story, in my mind, worth gold.

In her room Jenna has a dress up box. It contains a variety of things..... Disney princess dresses, bracelets, hats, makeup, etc. Included in those princess clothes is a 2 piece Snow White costume that she'd gotten a few months ago at ToysRUs for her birthday. Today Jenna had chosen to add the bright yellow silky princess skirt to her ensemble described above. She put it on over her capris and it was just short enough that the bright pink ruffled legs peeked out from under the yellow like the beginning of a sunrise. On her right foot, she had on one of her plastic Cinderella glass slippers from last year's Halloween costume. The second slipper was missing so on the other foot she had a Snow White sandal that matched her bright yellow skirt perfectly. In her hand was a cheap sparkly dollar store princess tiara she had gotten several months ago at a birthday party.

My first reaction was to think ok, we need to go change her outfit.... and now I am probably going to be late for my class. Thankfully, that first reaction lasted less than a second. The reaction that popped into my head next was, "oh my, what a little princess I have been blessed with." So what if she doesn't necessarily look like a princess today. In her mind, she did. And THAT was the important thing.

"Mommy, can you put my hair up?!" she asked.

So in between stifling my uncontrollable giggles at the sight before me, I took her hand and we went into my bathroom. I gathered her hair into a simple ponytail and then tenderly placed the tiara atop her golden tresses... as if I were crowning a royal princess. I could almost hear the coronation music in the background. The finishing touch was the application of strawberry shortcake lip gloss that she had gotten for her birthday.

"I want orange," she demanded in her adorable high pitched voice. So, I stuck the makeup wand in the sticky orange goop and spread it on her soft pink lips, all the while telling her how beautiful she was.

We headed downstairs a few minutes later to get ready to leave. It took her a little longer than normal as the shoes she was wearing were not the easiest to walk in. But, taking one step at a time, she managed. Downstairs, I found my camera and, wanting to capture this moment, asked her if I could take her picture. She happily said yes and put on her best smile. Click. Of course, she wanted to see it right away. Thank goodness for digital cameras. I found the picture and showed it to her.

"But Mom, you can't see my crown!"

I assured her that her crown was showing up just fine and my word was good enough for her. A few minutes later, we were out the door and on our way.

**edited to add the picture... **
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

12 Comments:

Blogger Pirate Princess said...

How sweet! Good for you letting her go "princess style"! I've done that a time or two myself...

9:23 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

little girls can be so funny! My daughter is such a diva.

I am here via Michele

10:11 PM  
Blogger Kimberly said...

That is so sweet! My daughter does that all the time. They would love to play dress up together!!

7:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

awwww, she's adorable. such a treat when they start to dress themselves, it's amazing to see what they pick out, shows you what they are thinking about.

6:57 PM  
Blogger Tracy S said...

That is so adorable :)

7:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, Michele sent me!

I can't say anything but "Awwww! How CUTE!" The visual aid was nice, too! ;)

7:53 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

What a precious, precious story and picture. I loved this post.

Here via Michele's.

10:52 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

LOL! Adorable!!!!! Zoe does this to me all the time. Yesterday she wore her Belle gown all day over her clothes, even out to dinner.

Love the pic of Jenna!

10:00 AM  
Blogger Star said...

What a beautiful princess. I'm glad you didn't make her change.

8:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Adorable!

Michele sent me!

9:24 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Hello Michele sent me. I love it when they dress themselves. They are so cute!

10:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so totally impressed that you let her go that way and fought the urge to make her change. I dream of being that flexible, but I doubt I would be. Yea, you, for being such a great mom!

BTW...I just saw you posted on my site the same time I was reading over here...excellent timing!

10:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home