Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

~Welcome to my blog!!!~
I am a stay-at-home mom to three kiddos- two girls who are 10 and 7, and our first little boy who will be 5 in October.
It can get a little chaotic around here with all the activity of three kids... but I wouldn't trade any of it for the world!

Well, at least most days I wouldn't... ;)



PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket



Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Just a few blog questions....

That are bogging me down!

1. How in the world do you get clickable links to show up as a shorter different name?! Like when someone talks about another blog and uses the person's first name instead of the url and it is clickable. I tried a few things but I'm very inexperienced when it comes to html. Just sorta fuddle my way through. So if anyone can tell me/show me what the html is, I'd be forever grateful! :)

2. What is the blog etiquette for adding someone to your blogroll? Do you let them know or just do it?! My blogroll is a bit short right now!

3. Is it more common to write every day or just a couple times a week?! I've been trying to write as much as I can and don't want to keep an entry up too long and bore people! But then I don't want to change it too often and lose out on feedback! Or drive myself crazy trying to come up with what to write about.

4. Do you generally just visit the same blogs over and over? I find I've already found a few faves that I frequent often.

5. Do you ever go back and see if the blogger has responded to one of your comments?! Or is commenting back a waste of time!?

So far, in my two weeks of being a blogger, I've really enjoyed it... it's been fun writing and seeing what others think of what I write! Although, I find that I probably check too often seeing if I have feedback! LOL I'm assuming that is not uncommon!

~~
Anyways, I've been a busy camper the past couple weeks taking the grad class I posted about a week or so ago. Tomorrow is the last day. So if you happen to hear someone hooting and woo'ing around 4:00 tomorrow, that'll be me! :)

The class has been ok... a bit on the boring side and a lot of the information I already know but I have walked away with a few new tidbits. I've got till the end of the month to turn in the huge project... a ten day thematic themed lesson plan that has specific adaptations for a non-English speaker. UGH! Not looking forward to it at all! I am trying to hunt down the theme unit I did way back when I student taught eons ago. I figure if I find it, I can use that as a framework for this class project. Wish me luck... my teaching things are stuffed in the attic space next to our bonus room! It's hot and muggy in there and the light is pretty dim. So finding it is going to be a project in itself!


10 Comments:

Blogger Alison said...

1...no idea
2...I just add them
3...I write when the mood hits whether it's something profound or not
4...I tend to hit the same but sometimes check out other commenters from my regular blog reads
5...I will sometimes go back more to see if anyone else has commented

You are doing fine and I'm enjoying all that you share!

8:28 PM  
Blogger shannon said...

Hi Cathy!

I've tried a few times to show you the html code, but when I preview the comment, it shows up as an actual link. Wait! Let me try this. I'll write the code but just not put in the tag marks to enclose it. You'd copy this (putting in your own information, of course :) and add this mark to the beginning: < and this mark to the end: > with no spaces between those marks and the code.

Here's an example as if I were linking to my site but putting my name as the hyperlink instead of the name of my blog:

a href="http://www.windscraps.blogspot.com">shannon<

Okay. That worked, except it wouldn't let me enclose the code. You need to add those brackets the way I said above, but you also need to add a slash (/) and an "a" before you enclose it. Sorry this is so messy, but blogger won't let you write broken codes, so I don't know any other way to tell you! If you're still confused, email me and I'll try to do it through email: shannon@shannonwoodward.com

As to the rest, I try to post about three times a week, although at first I was posting five times a week. I don't ask people before linking to them--I just do it. And I keep a running list of blog ideas, which I add to everytime something crosses my mind. I do check once in awhile to see if anyone responded to something I commented on in their blog, but probably not as often as I should. :)

Hope that helps!

8:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Shannon... just did a test and it worked! YAY! I'll try it next time I blog and hyperlink to your site if ya don't mind since you helped me out!

10:41 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Cathy, there's a shortcut to the HTML question. There is a button when you are posting, it's next to the colored text button, and looks like a green circle. Highlight the word you want the link to pertain to, click that button, and it'll bring up http:// and you fill in what link you want it to reference.

About the blogroll. I add blogs I enjoy, and I try to go through and add blogs who have added me. I've already weeded out some blogs from my roll that I haven't been to in a while. I think I got a little nuts for a while, rolling everyone.

I do visit mostly the same blogs every day, or every few days. I have a "must read" file in my bookmarks.

I sometimes check for comments, but not always.

I try to write everyday, skipping a day here or there. I know that if I visit a blog, and there's nothing for a few days (or like a week) I stop trying. Ugh.

You are doing great! And I'm glad you are enjoying it so much!!!

11:29 PM  
Blogger Beanhead said...

Thanks for asking those questions now I don't have to...;)

12:14 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

1. What Indigo said...Just highlight the name you want to make the link, click that button and add the link.

2. Just do it! And thanks for adding me!

3. Just whenever you want. I try for every day, but sometimes don't.

4. yep...sometimes I follow links from other's blogrolls

5. Only if I really want to see. Like if I asked a question. I am trying to respond more on my blog lately.

1:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. i need to learn this as well
2. i can't get my blog roller thing going either, mine are bookmarked until i add them in manually, but i just do it, i don't ask, i have seen some people let the other person know by leaving a note
3. whatever you're comfortable with
4. yes
5. usually
and i have issues posting a picture, changing the colour of font, etc. yet my youngest daughter, age 10, figured it out in about two minutes (mom needs to take a class)

4:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the help everyone!

And sure, bumbling bav, link me! :)

6:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Cathy,

1st off, Michele sent me.

You already have an answer for #1, so let me see what I can do for you on the others.

2. I usually just do it. It is nice to get the feedback (so in that case, give as well) but I typically don't notify them.

3. It is more common to write daily in the beginning, then to stop all together not long after (the problem with many blogs). A better solution is to write when you have something to say. If it is not forced, it will be more interesting.

4. I use a news aggregator (Newsgator) so a lot of the blogs I read I read without actually visiting the site.

5. Commenting is not a waste of time, but I usually don't go back. The comments are left for other readers, or the blog owner. If I am looking for a response, then I will go back.

Hope that helps.

3:43 PM  
Blogger Lora said...

I can't believe you've only been blogging for a few weeks. You seem to have caught on quickly.

1. Has already been answered.
2. There really is no etiquette. It never hurts to let people know, most bloggers are quite pleased by it, but I don't think anybody objects.
3. It's more important to be predictable then frequent. So if you write every day the suddenly don't write for a few days you may lose some of your audience, but if you generally write every few days and people expect it, you won't.
4. I keep regularly keep up with a good number of blogs, because I like to get to know the bloggers I read. I have some I stop in at less frequently and then I just randomly drift a bit.
5. I only comment back on my own blog for people who I know read my blog regularly. I'll respond at thier blog or if it's something I want my regular readers to see too. I'll leave it in both places.

11:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home