Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

~Welcome to my blog!!!~
I am a stay-at-home mom to three kiddos- two girls who are 10 and 7, and our first little boy who will be 5 in October.
It can get a little chaotic around here with all the activity of three kids... but I wouldn't trade any of it for the world!

Well, at least most days I wouldn't... ;)



PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket



Saturday, June 25, 2005

Barbie Buddy

This weekend, I went garage saling again. It's sorta become my Thursday/Friday thing to do. I actually found one yesterday that had some Gymboree in my daughter's size, and it was marked cheap! Score! :) Then I drove by another sale that had a sign that said "50% off everything!" So of course I stopped. Another score! They had a whole gaggle of Barbie things with accessories !! And since I have a four year old, well, I wasn't about to pass that up... especially at half price! I picked up a bunch of sets with accessories to match... all for $13.00.

When I sat down to blog tonight, my mind was blank. I couldn't figure out what the heck to write about. And then it came to me...

Barbies! There's probably not a female on the planet who hasn't spent some time playing with those little plastic dolls. When I was younger, I'll bet I played Barbies more hours than I slept! My best friend and I would sit down in my basement all day creating exciting lives for Barbie, Skipper, and Ken. We'd build houses out of anything we could find... shoe boxes, suitcases, cereal boxes... you name it, we probably used it! We'd make tiny sandwiches for them to eat and miniature folders and notebooks so they could go to school. I'm pretty sure we even made clothes for them out of toilet paper and paper towels! One funny little tidbit was that between my Barbie Buddy and myself, we only had one male doll and one baby doll. So we took turns. Either you had the baby or the Dad... never both. You'd think we would have just begged our moms for another Ken doll but we never did. Or at least if we did, they never caved in and bought one for us.

Sometimes we'd move our Barbie playing outside and pretend they were having a campout. We'd use things in the backyard for them to climb on... lawn chairs, the clothes line, etc. Back in my day, Barbie had lots of cool accessories but we didn't have many of them. I longed for that wonderful pink Barbie townhouse and the swimming pool and Corvette... but had to make due without them. We did have the cool camper/van though.

As I grew older, it wasn't long before the Barbies were packed away and other interests took up my free time. My Barbie Buddy and I stayed friends all through high school (and we still see each other occasionally today!). We STILL talk about the days of sitting in my basement for hours on end. Such wonderful memories...

My four year old already has a few Barbies.... a couple of the Disney princesses and two or three that my mom has bought her for Christmas. She plays with them some now but I can only imagine the hours she'll spend playing with them over the next several years. Secretly, I am actually looking forward to the chance to play Barbies again with her! My garage sale purchases from this weekend should definitely come in handy. And maybe I'll even splurge and get her the townhouse AND the Corvette. A girl's gotta have the latest doll accessories, right?!?!

**Note to self... Buy more than one Ken doll... she'll need one to share with *her* Barbie Buddy!**

16 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

My mom loved Barbies. Made her own Barbie clothes and everything. She wanted me to love Barbies but I was never very interested. Sound like you had lots of fun with them, though:-)

11:27 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

I had a Barbie collection but my daughter in not into Barbie I tried but she just does not care...she loves cars.

I am here via Michele

11:29 PM  
Blogger Beanhead said...

Cathy I loved my Barbies!

12:30 AM  
Blogger carmilevy said...

I love that my 7-year-old daughter plays with Barbies. Just watching her interact in this world is magical. Being invited to share the experience is even more so.

Thank you for reminding us why it is such a wondrous place for a little girl to be.

12:39 AM  
Blogger Cool Dad said...

Never got into the Barbie thing, you know, being a guy and all, but GI Joe was kinda the same thing. We were pretty interested in blowing stuff up to be honest. Awww, good times...

10:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

both of my girls have had barbies, but they never seemed to get into them they way i did. i can remember doing all of those things with my barbie as well. doesn't barbie have a new man in her life now, i thought she finally kicked ken's a** to the curb cuz she was sick of their long engagement.

2:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my! LMAO... didn't realize Barbie and Ken had broken up! So of course, I had to google and find a link to the story... http://www.toymania.com/news/messages/5267.shtml That totally cracks me up!

2:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Michele sent me! I've enjoyed reading some of your entries...and I have to admit, I am one of those girls who never played with Barbies. I, instead, was obsessed with drawing and I would spend hours doing that. I just missed the gene for Barbie-playing that most little girls got! Thankfully, I have two little boys, with no interest in barbies...
I'll be back to visit again!

2:18 PM  
Blogger Twist of Kate said...

Hey there Cathy...thanks for stopping by my place and leaving a comment...you are a Newbie blogger aren't ya??? How cute is that!? :) I see by your comments that we share some friends out there in the blogsphere...welcome! I will definitely be back! P.S. I had a little sister and probably played Barbies way longer than I should have ;)

3:38 PM  
Blogger carmilevy said...

Hi Cathy. I'm still getting over the whole Barbie-Ken breakup. How tragic. Is nothing sacred anymore?

Michele sent me (again, and again). Hope you had a great weekend.

Carmi with a C (and an I)

9:58 PM  
Blogger Tammy said...

Never mind Barbie...ya know that it was a Cathie cartoon that convinced me that I was indeed pregnant with my first child?!

Cool blog...thank you to Michele for sending me this way!

10:04 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

I wasn't really into the Barbies. My cousin Emily had a summer thing with a hot dog cart that I thought was cool and I had a Barbie and the Rockers stage that was neat, but overall, I got bored too quickly!

1:05 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

I had a few Barbies, but what I remember most was my Skipper doll. I LOVED SKIPPER!!! Please tell me that was her name, because now I'm having a memory fart that her name wasn't Skipper, and I just proclaimed that I loved something that didn't exist.

10:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you're talking about the doll who had long blonde hair, bangs, and no chest, then yep, her name was Skipper! :) Didn't they change her to grown up Skipper where if you rotated her arms, she grew boobies?!!? LOL

12:32 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

I love going to garage sales. I've found some awesome stuff there. Several years ago I found two pieces of Samsonite luggage that would have cost around $300. if I had bought it new and I got it for $ 25.00. It was brand new and a great deal.

5:43 PM  
Blogger barbie2be said...

believe it or not, i never had a barbie while growing up... my first was the barbie bride i received from my ex's husband's mother when i made the trip to meet her for the first time after we were engaged.

of course, i should mention that i am the youngest of 6 and the only girl. i did have a mess of those little green army guys though. :)

2:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home