Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

~Welcome to my blog!!!~
I am a stay-at-home mom to three kiddos- two girls who are 10 and 7, and our first little boy who will be 5 in October.
It can get a little chaotic around here with all the activity of three kids... but I wouldn't trade any of it for the world!

Well, at least most days I wouldn't... ;)



PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket



Saturday, October 29, 2005

Getting in Shape

I've never been one to exercise regularly. In fact, it's a rarity that I do it. I know I need to and I know that I need to stay healthy for my girls but it's just never been part of my daily routine. In college, we had a beautiful state of the art rec center on campus. I think I went there two or three times. Since I've been with my husband, we've belonged to Bally's and the Y but only for a year or so each place. I'd get into a work out habit then something would happen that would cause me to stop going.

This past couple weeks, I've really had an itch to start working out and getting on a healthy lifestyle kick. So, earlier this week, I told hubby that for Christmas I either wanted to A)rejoin the Y or B)join Curves. I am tired of not being in shape and having to buy my clothes bigger. Thankfully, hubby agreed that it was a great idea for a Christmas present. So I started calling around and was all set to start going to Curves. I wasn't crazy about paying the $39 a month it would cost but you gotta do what you gotta do, right?

This past Thursday, I was at my moms' group at a local church. Afterwards, I was standing around talking to some friends when another friend comes walking out of a room labeled, "fitness center!" HUH?? Fitness center?? I never knew there was a fitness center there!

Turns out that not only is there a fitness center, it is a ministry of the church and priced VERY inexpensively so that people can afford it. Ready for the cost?!!? $25. A. YEAR!!!!! And that's just for the first year. After that, it is only $15!!!!! The hours are great (6a to 10p) and if I go in the evenings, there is even childcare over at the main church building!

I called that same afternoon to set up an orientation meeting and the following night, went and met with the coordinator. He explained the rules and went over the different machines they have. All I have to do now is go over to the church bookstore and pay the $25 to receive my key card (to get into the room). Then I can get started on my healthy lifestyle walk!!

The church even offers fitness classes and set you up with workout groups/buddies to help with accountability! The new sessions start up in January.

I'm psyched. I'll try to remember to update on my progress but if you are a regular reader (and heck, even if you aren't!), do me a favor and check in with me occasionally to see how I'm doing. I might need a little kick in the pants every once in a while!

Deal?!?!

9 Comments:

Blogger carmilevy said...

Wow, such a deal indeed! I suppose they use it as a draw to bring folks closer to the institution. Brilliant marketing, I say.

I'm visiting from Michele's tonight. I guess I'll start calling religious institutions in my own burg to see what they've got on-site!

10:52 PM  
Blogger Michelle Pessoa said...

A church fitness center? Who knew?

Michele sent me.

10:52 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

Congratulations! I think a church having that sort of facility is fabulous. Seeing as we are supposed to treat our bodies as temples it's nice to have the support of those preaching that message.

6:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's exactly why they do it Alison! It's an awesome church.... so many programs for anything you can imagine! They even have a motorcyle ministry!

We don't go there.... but it's where my moms' group is so I do a lot of activities there.

9:24 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

That is a total deal!!!! I'm paying, you'd better sit down, $92 a month for a family membership to the Y. I'd love a $25/year membership.

Michele sent me today sweetie pie! Just think, a year ago we didn't even know who Michele was. ;-)

9:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my son wants to join a gym, it's about $50/month. now that he's in high school, he can join the one there $40/year!!!
i'll try and give you a kick in the pants, but your a$$ is probably going to be so small from working out, i'll have a hard time finding it.

2:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is an amazing deal! I wish you all the luck in the world. Just think, if you want to pray that your workout would be over soon, you don't have far to go! Seriously, I applaud you for doing this. I'll check in and see how it's going. JUST HAVE FUN WITH IT! Michele sent me!

10:15 PM  
Blogger marlynn said...

What a deal indeed! That's awesome. Good for you. Keep us posted on your workouts - I, for one, need some inspiration and motivation to get my lazy bum moving!

1:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's an ubelievable deal. I won't even tell you what I pay for my gym membership. Getting started on a fitness program is probably one of the hardest things I've tried to do. I'm glad I've started, but I'm not yet at the point of enjoying it.

Good luck!

8:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home