Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

~Welcome to my blog!!!~
I am a stay-at-home mom to three kiddos- two girls who are 10 and 7, and our first little boy who will be 5 in October.
It can get a little chaotic around here with all the activity of three kids... but I wouldn't trade any of it for the world!

Well, at least most days I wouldn't... ;)



PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket



Sunday, August 03, 2008

A (somewhat) Sappy Family Reunion Story

Today was a family reunion for my dad's side of the family. We have it every year at the same place and it's mostly the same crowd. My family makes up about half of the attendance since we're so big. But there are also a lot of my dad's aunt's family and several aunts and uncles and distant cousins who come.

So, anyways, my dad has two brothers and a sister. The two brothers (and their families) are almost always there but the sister is not.


Back in 1989, my grandma passed away. And during the settling of her estate, there were some disagreements. Those disagreements caused a rift b/t my dad and his sister. We've barely seen or spoken to her since then... she's come to a few funerals but never to any family functions. And she's always been distant when we have run into her. Basically, she just cut herself off from all of us. sad.gif

For the past 4-5 years, her son has started coming to the reunion. The first couple years, he'd show up at the end and just stand outside talking to my brother. But the last two years, he and his wife and son have actually come for the whole reunion and spent time talking to everyone. His mom, however, has always refused to come. Even though in the past few years, she and my dad have started talking a bit again, it's never been like it used to be before my grandma died.


So, cut to today. My cousin (her son) was there and someone asked him if Jannie (his mom) was coming. He got out his handy-dandy cell phone and called her. About an hour or so later, she and her daughter (my cousin, whom we also have barely talked to in the last almost 20 years) come walking in the door.

wub.gif

All of us, and most especially my dad, were obviously very happy to see them there. They jumped right in and started talking to everyone. There were always at least 3-4 people standing around them. Pictures were taken, stories were told, memories were brought up, kids were introduced (she'd never met most of the grandkids), and hugs were exchanged.

I tell ya, I almost had tears in my eyes several times watching it all.

By the end of the afternoon, it was as though the last 19 years of estrangement had never happened. I know the memories of it are still there and probably some hurt feelings will always exist.... but today was definitely a step in the right direction.

The reunion will be the same weekend next August. I am thinking/hoping it won't take a phone call to get her there...

wub.gif

1 Comments:

Blogger Ann(ie) said...

awwwww. I love that. Just goes to show that time can really heal most wounds!!

I love your blog. I have a lil man turning 2 in Dec!! 8)

12:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home