Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

~Welcome to my blog!!!~
I am a stay-at-home mom to three kiddos- two girls who are 10 and 7, and our first little boy who will be 5 in October.
It can get a little chaotic around here with all the activity of three kids... but I wouldn't trade any of it for the world!

Well, at least most days I wouldn't... ;)



PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket



Thursday, January 25, 2007

Miss Independent

Ya gotta love 3 year olds.

My middle kid turned 3 in December. About a month before that, she FINALLY potty trained.

And wow. What a difference that has made. Overnight, she's gone from my baby to a big girl. A big independent "I-can-do-it-myself" and "Mommy, (insert VERY high pitched scream!) I didn't want you to help me!!!!!" girl. It all started when she decided she wanted to be the one to put her panties on. Ok, fine. But please just let me lay them out so all you have to do it put your legs in. No danger of getting them on wrong that way, right? Sure. Of course. I guess there's nothing wrong with underwear put on upside down. Once she figured out the panties, pants were next. It might take ten minutes to get them on, but dernit, she is doing it herself.

I *was* still allowed to help with the rest of her outfit. That lasted a couple days.

Then she figured out how to put on her shirts. Ok, so most of the time they're on backwards and/or wrong side out (ironically, it's the same with the pants and panties) but she does it. And next came socks. Socks are a little hard to get on unless you're holding them just right. But I'm still not allowed to help her. And shoes.... yep, not allowed to help there either. Thank goodness for velcro.

If I even attempt to help while she's getting dressed, even a weensy teensy bit, off come all of her clothes and she starts all over... all the while throwing a hissy fit. Sure does make for an interesting time when we're in a hurry to get somewhere.

The ONLY thing I am allowed to do is fix her hair. And, seeing that she has unmanagable curls, thank goodness for that. I imagine soon, that job will be taken away from me too.

It sure is fun watching her grow up. Although, sometimes it's hard to sit back and be patient with her as she donning her (one of many) outfits for the day. But I find that the more patient I am, the more proud she is of herself when she is done.

And isn't that what it's all about? Giving them the independence they crave... and seeing those proud little smiles when it's all done...

I wouldn't trade it for the world.

7 Comments:

Blogger Cathy said...

Now, all you need are photos of the projects in action with the shirt on backwards, shoes. Then, the HUGE smile when she's done. Remember, being independent now can carry through to school.

9:23 PM  
Blogger carmilevy said...

Neither would I. You've captured this stage of her life so thoughtfully in this one entry.

12:19 PM  
Blogger Carli N. Wendell said...

My sister was tired of buying two different sized diapers, so she told my older niece that she didn't have any of her diapers and she had to wear underwear. And that was that.

She'll always need you, no matter how independent she becomes.

12:30 PM  
Blogger ... Paige said...

What fun! I have photos of one of my grandson's with his jeans on backwards, he will not let anybody "help".
Our goal is to make them responsible for themselves so they can give and offer help to their own children on day not to mention to the world.

Hi here by way of Michele's; happy weekend

2:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so cute, I don't know why but some kids have a lot of trouble with the back & front of clothes. My 7 year old often wears his shirts backwards & has been known in the last year or so to do the same with a pair of jeans!
Here from Micheles today.

2:37 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

Them growing up is so hard for us moms but yet it comes with a sense of accomplishment when they are actually independant. Bittersweet really!

3:16 PM  
Blogger utenzi said...

It sounds like this journey towards independence is taking a lot out of you, Cathy. I have no doubt that your daughter will come out of it well, but will you??!

Letting go isn't easy but by the end of your post it was clear that you're letting her test the waters of her independence. What a voyage it'll be but at 3 years of age, she'll definitely be needing you quite a bit longer.

Michele sent me, Cathy.

11:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home