Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

~Welcome to my blog!!!~
I am a stay-at-home mom to three kiddos- two girls who are 10 and 7, and our first little boy who will be 5 in October.
It can get a little chaotic around here with all the activity of three kids... but I wouldn't trade any of it for the world!

Well, at least most days I wouldn't... ;)



PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket



Thursday, December 07, 2006

Back from the hospital...

Nicholas is doing just fine after his hernia surgery! We came home this morning around 11:00 after spending the night in the hospital. When we got home, Nicholas was sleeping, Cass was still at my sister's and Jenna was still at school for another 20 minutes or so. So I had a few bits of quiet before the chaos of normal life resumed.

The surgery itself went very well. They ended up finding a hernia on his right side too (we'd known about the left and suspected the right) so they repaired both of them.

The stinky part of the whole ordeal.... his surgery was scheduled for 8 and we had to be at the hospital at 6. We actually made it with a few minutes to spare. So they take us back to a little pre-op room and start getting the papers processed. Then the doc comes in and says he has some bad news. There are a couple of emergency apendectomies that are going to have to be priority over Nicholas. UGH. So they started a saline drip to keep him hydrated. At this point, he hadn't had formula since 10 the night before. And watered down apple juice at around 3:30 am.

The delay ended up being FOREVER!! Turns out they had a few more emergencies. It was freakin' 3:00 by the time they were able to get Nicholas in. I kept my cool pretty well because there wasn't anything else I could do. And the nurse and doc were very apologetic. Luckily my mom had come down so b/t the three of us (me, Hubby, mom) we were able to keep Nicholas calm. He actually slept most of the time, sucking on his binky for dear life. Thank goodness for that thing!

It was after 5:30 before we were up in our room. It was a double room so we shared it with a little three month old girl who had just had her first surgery to repair a cleft lip and palate. Poor thing... she was miserable most of the night. :( I felt so bad for her.

Nicholas slept well... part of the time with me and part of the time in his crib. I, on the other hand, slept like shit. The chair that folded out in to a bed sucked.

Oh well... we're home now... and all is good...

Before the surgery...
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

And after, sleeping peacefully...
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Michele sent me. (I'm a Cathy with a C too. The only way to spell it, really!)

I'm glad Nicholas is home and that the surgery went well. Waiting for surgery is nerve-wracking and they almost always keep you waiting. So annoying!

10:34 PM  
Blogger carmilevy said...

Thank goodness he's OK. I'm so happy that everything worked out.

I suspect all hospitals follow the same hurry-up-and-wait stategy. I wish they weren't so predictable in this regard.

Then again, they DO work miracles, so it's a fair exchange in the end.

Glad you're OK, little man.

10:37 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

Thankful that this step is over for you all. I will continue to pray for his hearing...

5:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww, poor little dude. That stinks that he had to wait so long to eat.

And man is he ever cute, so adorable.

2:03 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Awwwwwwwwww...what an adorable tiny little one! I'm sorry you had to wait so long. I'm with Carmi in thinking that all hospitals like for babies to scream in their mother's faces before they're ready for surgery. I've been there and done that. I'm glad it's all over for you!! (((HUGS)))
Here from Michele's, but I'm subscribing to your blog to keep up with your little man! :)

7:31 PM  
Blogger Em said...

Michele sent me...nice to meet you. What a handsome son! Glad things are okay - other than the extensive wait. Hope you and dad are getting some sleep!

10:32 PM  
Blogger Melody said...

Oh my. What a brave little soul you have Cathy...

11:12 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

oh gosh, he's just breathtaking. And I can't believe that Jenna and Cassidy were that small once too. It seems like only yesterday.

1:49 PM  
Blogger barbie2be said...

what a beautiful little guy!

4:57 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Poor Nicholas! That is just wrong to make such a little one wait like that. Can't believe no other docs to handle the emergencies. At least it is all done & he's back home and recovering well. Give him lots of hugs. He's just precious in those pics..the first one he looks so sad!

11:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home