Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

~Welcome to my blog!!!~
I am a stay-at-home mom to three kiddos- two girls who are 10 and 7, and our first little boy who will be 5 in October.
It can get a little chaotic around here with all the activity of three kids... but I wouldn't trade any of it for the world!

Well, at least most days I wouldn't... ;)



PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket



Friday, December 01, 2006

Not the best news...

But not the worst either.

It turns out my sweet little baby boy does have mild hearing loss in BOTH ears. Enough that they recommend a hearing aid.

Ironically, the ear that passed in the hospital has more hearing loss than the other.

Next step. We have to see an ENT. Maybe further testing... we don't know yet. He'll most likely be getting the hearing aids fairly quickly so that his speech can develop at a normal rate.


I am doing ok. I know things could be a hell of a lot worse. He does have a good amount of hearing (he can hear us fine if we're next to him... it's mainly just a problem at a distance or in a crowded room).

Andy is NOT doing ok. He is taking it REALLLLLY hard. He's spent most of the evening almost in tears. His main concern is how Nicholas is going to be treated by his peers. He has already decided that Nicholas is not going to have a normal life. And nothing I say can convince him otherwise...

It's amazing to me how different he and I are reacting...

I am definitely planning on taking advantage of every early intervention program that we can. We'd already signed up for the "Help me Grow" program that our county offers before I even realized there was an issue with his hearing. There are a couple other organizations I need to still contact. I am determined to do everything I can to make sure he has a normal life.

I just know that things could be so much worse.... so I am counting my blessings that they aren't.

6 Comments:

Blogger carmilevy said...

Andy will come around. It's a hard reality to accept at first. But as you've noted, you have access to so much great support that it's a given then your little guy will grow up with every possible advantage.

You're doing everything right, and as a result your son will grow up just fine because he has parents who will stop at nothing to ensure he has a normal upbringing.

I admire your courage in writing about your experiences. I don't know if I'd have the backbone to share as you have.

10:40 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

What a blessing that he does in fact have hearing! I will pray that Andy will come to a sense of peace. Nicholas is blessed to have parents as dedicated and determined as yourselves who not let anything stand in their way of providing him with all the support there is out there. The prayers will not stop Cathy, not ever!

6:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's good that you're taking advantage of early opportunities. As Carmi said, your son will grow up just fine.

I also have a friend, although I only met him about 6 months ago, who has always had hearing aids. As far as I can tell, he's had as normal a life as anyone else.

Michele sent me!

10:16 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

Cathy, you hang in there, and I suspect that Andy will accept the hearing loss and begin to help your baby to do whatever it takes to maintain his hearing level, and learn to deal with his hearing loss. You are right; it could be much worse. He could be profoundly deaf. Focus on the positive as mnuch as you can. Michele sent me, and I admire your courage.

10:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Cathy

(Michelle sent me)

Wow, I really admire your honesty and courage. Your baby obviously has a Mum and a Dad who truly care about him and in that sense he is really lucky.

:-)

10:53 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Oh goodness...I'm just noticing this. He'll be fine, believe me...there are worse things than being deaf :) He'll have a normal, productive life, and with his parents in his corner fighting for him, he'll be fine :) I know that every parent hopes for the perfect child, though, and I know that his loss was a blow to you...not because of his imperfection, but because of your concern for him ((HUGS)))

7:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home